Labels

Sunday 27 March 2016

27/03/16

The Ambassador Oscars
Story by @ChandlerWaller
Photography by @caaitlinhaf Isobel Cunningham and Jack Matthews

“I wasn’t even an ambassador but I still went.” Probably one of the best nights that I’ve had. Don’t ask me what an ambassador is because I still don’t know. Just a night filled with fun, food, photos and a ton of alcohol (some of it free!). That’s all you really need to know. 
Jacket - Topman
Shirt - Topman
Tie, Tie Bar and Pocket Square - The Tie Bar

But the greatest part about it is that its a fancy event which of course means dressing your best. I jumped at the opportunity of purchasing from the tie bar, literally not even upset with paying $25 for delivery. I had to teach myself how to do a pocket square which my friends found hilarious (I don’t go to classy places often). So whilst I sit here writing this, struggling to remember the night I’m going to tell you how Black Tie events don’t have to be boring.




Jacket - Topman
Shirt - Topman
Tie, Tie Bar and Pocket Square - The Tie Bar

I went shopping with one of my friends for a suit recently and the most important thing to know is what type of suit is the right fit for your body type. I could sit here and write what type is good for what, but to make a life a little easier for you, I’m going to redirect you to a video. The video will teach you multiple facts about suits that will always come in handy for the next time you make a purchase (don’t forget to save it!).


Just a quick note, if you’re wondering where to go for your suit - try Moss Bros. Incredibly helpful staff who know their stuff. Do not buy online. You want to make sure that this suit is comfortable. Going into a store with the staff’s help will not only save you time, but also give you the future advice that you will need when making your next purchase.





Also don’t just go for the cheapest. You’re investing in something classy and long term, it’s got to be good.



Jacket - Topman
Shirt - Topman
Trousers - Topman
Chelsea Boots - Topman


Now, the tie. So many choices nowadays and it definitely makes it an interesting purchase. I would suggest using the Tie Bar because of the amazing quality and combinations that they provide. It will cost you for delivery to the UK but I honestly believe it is worth it. I would suggest a wool knit tie, it’s quirky, smart and smooth as hell! A bow tie is cool if you’re feeling it, just make sure it goes well with your suit and pocket square. I did see some terrible ‘bow tie disasters’ but maybe that was just me being a judgemental arse. Or maybe it was the alcohol? Maybe both.



Jacket - Topman
Shirt - Topman
Tie, Tie Bar and Pocket Square - The Tie Bar
Whilst you’re shopping at The Tie Bar, don’t forget to pick up a tie bar and pocket square. The pocket square has to match the colour of your tie unless you can go for a patterned pocket square which can look really nice, but very risky. Always good to go with the safe bet of matching if you’re unsure. The material can be anything that tickles your fancy but I would suggest going for a linen or silk one, it will score you bonus points. 


As for the tie bar, you can go for a standard and it will still look dapper. But there’s a great range to choose from and you should look for something a little more outgoing, just make sure if you’re going for a metal one that it is the same colour as your jewellery. Again, bonus points. As for coloured ones, I can’t really say as I haven’t tested it out myself. But the beauty of @imchanism and @ejsamson on Instagram can show you some interesting combinations.
Jacket - Topman
Shirt - Topman
Tie, Tie Bar and Pocket Square - The Tie Bar


If you’re going to wear cufflinks, depending on the tie bar you choose it should be:

 either one of them as something eccentric or both standard. Bonus points if you can pull off ultimate quirkiness. 

Shoes are great. I can spend hours browsing and drop a lot of money on them. But you know what the biggest outrage was? Someone wearing trainers at this event. Nike Blazers as well, its not 2012 hunny… Sorry I had to. Find something comfortable that you can wear all night, I’d recommend some Chelsea boots if you’re trousers are made to rise a bit. Just so you can hint a little bit of your colourful socks. Yes, colourful socks must be worn. But you can go for brogues/loafers if the trousers sit just below the ankle. Do not wear socks with loafers, big no no. 


I wish you had all seen my snapchat story, It was the bomb, you can follow me @chandlerwaller and I’ll try not to disappoint you. The night was great and I consumed a lot of alcohol which I heavily regretted in the morning. Enjoy the pictures and I wish you the best in your next classy event.

No comments:

Post a Comment