Labels

Friday 18 March 2016

18/03/16

When a Brit Goes to New York
Story by @ChandlerWaller

God damn it, what are we missing out on?!
Snapback - Supreme
Sunglasses - RayBan
Tee - Topman
Backpack - Vans
Photography by @ShannonDarbyJ
Seriously man, I wasn't ready to leave this beautiful city. I jumped at the chance of my university doing a study trip to NYC. I still don't understand why the other twenty four people on my course didn't want to come.  

Times Square
Photography by @ChandlerWaller
But here I am in the big apple with a couple of very talented fashion photographers. Writing now to boast my experience to you fellow readers. One thing is for sure, you can never get bored in NYC, there is always something going on. I was a tourist for the duration of my stay here and it was a pleasure. Statue of Liberty, Rockefeller and Brooklyn are just a small portion of what I got up to in NYC.

A new city can always be exciting. NYC is somewhere I can see myself potentially living and working at in the future. So it was worth the money that I don't have.

Wall St.
Snapback - Supreme
Photography by @ChandlerWaller
You know what the most annoying yet satisfying part about this trip was? It was March, I was told to pack all my big jackets and jumpers because it was 'going to be 'freezing'. It was f**king T-Shirt weather. I was over the moon that the weather was great, I'm not a big fan of cold weather at all.

One of the greatest experiences of my life.

We made the most of it, touring around this beautiful place. I like my food, a lot more than most people so imagine my excitement. You can expect everything will be burgers and chips and to be fair, you're not far off. I can't even count how many burgers I've eaten over the past week. But they're freaking delicious I'll tell you that! 
Statue of Liberty
Photography by @ChandlerWaller

The photo opportunities are insane, there's always something that will take your interest. I haven't touched a camera in years but the company of photographers made me feel it was okay to whack out my iPhone and take a few snaps for insta.  Besides being a tourist, you just gotta. We actually made a friend @fisklam. Still a legend who wanted photos with us. Getting more famous by the minute I guess... 

Tourist stuff can be expensive, I must warn you. I didn't manage to go to the top of the Empire State building because my god $30 to go on top of a tall building is just ridiculous. Nothing stopped me paying $30 to go to the top of the Rockefeller center though.  The statue of Liberty is cool, its a big statue but that is it. What were you expecting? To give you a wink and a smile? Well it should. 
Brooklyn Bridge
Photography by @ChandlerWaller

We ventured to Brooklyn by walking over the Brooklyn bridge, now this is pretty cool.  We were in the back of a rap video. Do you know how excited I am to find this video? Very is the answer.  My mum is going to be so proud. Its a popular location it seems and a great photo opportunity. There's also parts of the bridge where you can attach a padlock, so that was a first timer for me.  Brooklyn isn't actually as 'hood' as I thought it would be, my home town would probably put this part of Brooklyn to shame. 

If you like your alcoholic drinks and are like me ; under twenty one years of age. Bad news, you're not gonna be drinking. On the flight back, the first thing I asked for was a glass of wine (It helps you get to sleep anyway). We tried once to get a drink but then its just awkward when they say you're not twenty one. (Just get a fake ID when you go and that didn't come from me...).

Coney Island Station
Photography by @ChandlerWaller
For the entire time I was looking around for a Sprayground store. A NYC based backpack and accessories brand which is really trendy in its hometown. Partly because I'm working on a project that I thought I could include them in, but mostly because I want to be cool. I failed my mission because there were no stores in NYC selling them. What was with that? Up your game Sprayground.

Coney Island Pier
T-Shirt - Serge DeNimes
Jeans - Topman
Trainers - New Balance
Sunglasses - RayBan
Photography by @TaraMcGuire_
If you've ever watched the cult classic film 'The Warriors' then you can guess my excitement when one of the girls suggested going to Coney Island. I was expecting some sort of tribute towards the film but I guess I expect too much. The amusement park was closed! It was March but it was good weather! They have an aquarium there though, I got to see a walrus which is cool. I did pick up a warriors themed T-shirt though because why not. It's still cool to see the place where one of my favourite films was based though.  

"There was no lion at the zoo, I feel like Madagascar has lied to me my whole life". 

Seriously it felt like that, I was disappointed. Zoos are cool but they're not special unless they've got a lion roaring at you. 

NYC really likes it art, you can't walk around a corner without someone trying to sell you something. I bought a mixtape which I'm still not happy about, I'm listening to it now but I paid $10 for something, well not worth $10. Just learn to say no and you'll be fine. A lot of stalls were selling a lot of wall art which I've recently become a big fan of, so I purchased a Bob Marley one. 

Cooper Hewitt Museum
Snapback - Supreme
T-Shirt - Topman
Backpack - Vans
Photography by @ShannonDarbyJ
@ecussionist. A music artist we stumbled across getting home on the subway. A seriously talented guy and made us want to go clubbing. Which is great usually but twenty one man...

I like art and NYC has a lot to offer. We visited the Cooper Hewitt which was pretty interesting but you can't beat the MoMA for free! The same night, I took this lucky girl on a 'date'. The plan was Benihana but a two hour waiting list isn't appealing to anyone (make sure you book!).



Don't forget to check out the video below.
-2firs










No comments:

Post a Comment