Labels

Saturday 4 June 2016

04/06/16

Just Let Your Hands Go.
Story by @ChandlerWaller
Photography by +Nina Bejany 

Gloves - Loaded
Pads - RKA/MNS
Vest - USS Pro Precision
Joggers - Serge DeNimes
I remember my first training session of boxing. Hungover from a night out in Leicester Square, up early and the shock of my life for fitness. But surprisingly even though I felt like melted butter, I was instantly hooked.

I think we are the odd generation that just likes to punch stuff, nowadays friends are asking me how to punch properly. Two years ago, I wouldn't have a flipping clue how to punch properly as the only person who taught me was a Rangers fan.

But in my year of boxing, I find it such an entertaining sport that has more respect than any other. I'm glad that I decided to take up the sport because now, I can't imagine my life without it.

I enjoy staying up till four in the morning to watch a good fight.

There's no feeling like it, whilst everyone is fast asleep or just getting back from a night out and you hear me scream because of a devastating knockout. Sorry housemates.

But that aside, I had no clue where to start for what to buy for my future

boxing sessions. Mouthguard? Who needs a mouthguard? The complete difference you realise when you change from standard running trainers to trainers designed for boxing. The coolness you get from wearing a Dri-Fit.


I was a complete rookie at the start.

I soon found out, what I needed to buy to take up boxing and I got interested in the sport a hell lot more. I started watching different fighters from different weight classes who I had never heard of before. I'd research them before the fight and watch previous fights. I looked at fights of the century, studying the careers of boxers like Mike Tyson, Artruro Gatti, Muhammad Ali and Chris Eubank. Doing all of this set me up to go and buy what I needed.

If you can afford a punchbag, then by all means do, they're great for training. Best to stick to ones that go on the floor though, you don't want to ruin your ceiling... If you're just starting
out, I wouldn't recommend getting the flashiest gloves that you can find. It's not necessary, my gloves are from Loaded. Remember that magazine? I couldn't believe it, it made me laugh. I've had them for almost a year and they have served me well.

Pads can be picked up from a really cheap price. I'd like to say the quality matters but nah. Anything you're punching the s**t out of will eventually break. Of course you'll need someone to hold the pads for you, which I eventually persuaded my housemate to do. I honestly thought when I bought a Nike Dri-Fit, it was going to change my life. So many good reviews and positive comments! It's alright... I still sweat like a pig and I suppose it dries some of it.

My shorts are still standard ones that I've had for god knows how long. Do Nike still do that 90 collection? After being somewhat disappointed with the Nike Dri-Fit I was convinced to not rush into buying a pair of Exo Twin Skin Shorts

What I'm most happy with are my boxing trainers, a present actually from a friend for my 20th Birthday. (Yeah I'm getting old). Aside from getting a blister the first time, I have so much more control and speed with my footwork, I absolutely love them, thank you Nina my darling.

Now go and practice your jab.

You've got your shopping list, I made it as cheap as possible (obviously). Just enjoy the boxing guys and girls, we've accomplished so much recently and its so interesting to follow someone's career.

Well, I guess I'm gonna go and find myself a job for the summer. Boxing blogs, hit me up ;)
-2firs

#RIPAli. Sadly hearing about the death of Muhammad Ali today, it would be wrong to not mention him in this post. He is an inspiration to millions of people for what he did in and out of the ring. May he now be at peace after a long struggle with Parkinson's disease. We love you Ali and we always will.








No comments:

Post a Comment